Thursday, March 4, 2010

Quest for the Dragonfruit and Haircuts (+ 5 months!)

It's official... I am going on a quest to find a dragonfruit!
And today Jon and I have been together for 5 months!

Okay, so I'm being a little overly dramatic about my so-called "quest."
Honestly, I'm just going to be on the lookout for one of these fruits!
What is a dragonfruit?
Well, it's a fruit that isn't usually grown and sold in the United States, hence why I call it a quest... Finding one is not going to be an easy task.
In the beginning of winter our campus supermarket started carrying these delicious freezable pouches that once completely frozen could be squeezed and eaten as a slush. One of these flavors, "Dragonfruit Delight," immediately became my favorite.
After a bit of research on Wikipedia, I discovered that dragonfruit is indeed a real fruit. Though the skin is inedible, it's the skin itself that gives it the unique name.
The dragonfruit is a deep magenta pink (or yellow depending on the species), and has spiky spines that give it a dragon-like look.
The inside of the dragonfruit is either white or a deep beet red. (Once again, different variations of dragonfruit yield different colored flesh.)

A picture of Red Pitaya, also known as the dragonfruit.
(from Wikipedia.com)

The strangest thing of all is that the dragonfruit is actually the fruit of a cactus, not a tree or bush!
It has a light, delicate flavor, and the consistency has been compared to that of a kiwifruit.

I am a huge fan of both the flavor and kiwis, so I really would love to try one of these dragonfruits!
When I do get my hands on one, I'll be sure to document my culinary encounter with it here along with lots of photos!
(Or maybe even a video if I'm feeling up to it! I'm very camera shy...)

In other news, I desperately need a haircut. My hair is starting to get long enough to get caught under my bookbag strap when I wear it on my shoulder, which is extremely annoying. It also takes a while to wash and blowdry.
picture here
I'm thinking of cutting it about...

...this much. I'll also be thinning out the ends of my hair, of course.
(Yes, I do cut my own hair! I don't trust hairdressers at all.)

It's also Jon and my Fifth Monthiversary! We've officially been together for five months.
Here's to many more wonderful months!

You might also have noticed the drastic layout change of Hello.Interloper...
This is temporary, like the notice below says.
I'm currently trying to create a less cluttered layout and a better color scheme for the blog.
It's not going very well, as you might be able to tell.
I assure you that these problems will be solved soon, and hopefully the blog will finally get a clean, sleek look that doesn't burn your eyes!

Well, that's about all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment