Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Financial Woes and Polymer Clay

As you might have noticed at the top of this page, I'm planning to open an Etsy Shop...

The problem with opening a shop is... well... selling things!
I'm currently brainstorming some ideas, but I still am having a little bit of anxiety about whether or not the things I sell will actually be bought.
The last thing I need is a bunch of stuff that I've made sitting around at home, mocking me with all the time I've lost creating them in the first place.
I love making art and all, but I really need to make some money.

Okay.
I know I'm probably going to get called out for being a spoiled brat, but...
I have never had a job.
Yes, I'm 20, and have never worked a day of my life.

My family is well-off, but there are other reasons for me never getting a job.

First of all, I'm low maintenance.
Surprising? No, not really.
I never really eat at restaurants, I buy all my clothes on sale, I don't buy makeup or perfume, I don't buy shoes (much to the frustration of my mom, who gets sick and tired of me wearing the same shoes every day), I rarely go to the movies (maybe three times a year), I almost always buy videogames used or on sale, and I'm not materialistic.
So, my parents never really had a problem with me not working.

Second, I made a deal with my parents.
If I agreed to never ask for an allowance, I never would have to do any chores.
In a town where kids usually get 20 bucks a week as allowance, this made my parents super happy.
I still have to open the curtains, water my plants, put laundry in the hamper, make my bed, fold my clothes, put away the dishes, etc etc. That's easy stuff though.

Thirdly, I have a scholarship!
Scholarships are nice.

Soooo, yeah. I have some money to my name because I'm a notorious saver and I have a little bit of inheritance money...
But other than that, I'm broke.

Now that I'm in college, I feel that it's my responsibility to make money, not for myself, but for my future.
I need to save money for an apartment, for food, for life itself.
I'll only have three more years of college to jumpstart my future...
I absolutely have to start now.

So back to the Etsy Shop.
I think I'm going to start with simple polymer clay figurines and beads...
Sculpey is rather cheap, which is good news for me.

Now my problem is figuring out what kind of Sculpey to get.
There's Sculpey III...
Then Premo Sculpey...
Then SUPER SCULPEY?
What does this all meeeaaaan?
I'm so confused.

I'll have to figure out the difference soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment