Saturday, April 6, 2013

It angers me when people say "ADHD isn't real"

This is a response I wrote to a discussion about whether ADHD is real or not. I think it's important to get this out there, because these days psychologists are quick to label children that have active imaginations or disciplinary problems as having the illness. Over-diagnosis and false diagnoses are rampant, but that doesn't mean that ADHD doesn't exist.


"ADHD is very real, I live with it every day. I have "inattentive type" ADHD, and it's a complete pain in the ass. When two people talk, or someone talks during a movie or tv show, it's as if both become white noise and I can't focus on either. I always have to make people repeat themselves in crowds because of this, and sometimes I just can't even hear myself think in situations most people can handle. I forget things easily, and often will go to a room in the house to find or do something, think about something on the way there, and when I arrive I've completely forgotten what I came there for. It's not life-breaking, but its a daily annoyance and something the people who are close to me have to deal with. I am not "slow," "mentally challenged" or haven't been disciplined enough as a child. I have a 3.86 GPA in college thusfar, and excel at many different things. I just usually have to take a smaller workload to make up for the loss of focus I experience."

That being said, depression is very real too... But I've said enough about my experience with it on this blog already. Look it up if you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment