Monday, June 2, 2014

April + May's Events

Since I've been slacking horribly when it comes to blog updates, I'll catch up the best I can with this post.
I already posted what I managed to make  in early April when I was still in Delaware, but I did a lot more once I got home.


I worked on the head of the dog more early in April, fleshing out the cheeks a bit and giving him a pouty lower lip.


I turned 24 on the 18th and had an amazing day. My incredible boyfriend and family got me the most thoughtful and delightful gifts. One of these gifts was an order of Smooth-On resin and silicone to truly start my adventure into toy making!


I eventually added arms to my pit bull sculpt...


...and then legs! (And yes, he is a male dog.)


When May rolled around, it really became crunch time. In order to make the May 5th deadline for the Art Kickstart Sculpture Contest, I had to kick myself into overdrive. I worked like a madwoman, priming, sanding, and then attempting to mold the head of the dog.
Unfortunately I went into the molding process without much planning and ended up with an impractical mold, wasting valuable silicone in the process. I had to scrap it and make the executive decision to just go ahead and paint the original.


This pup...


...soon became this pup! Using the Bully Breed Rescue logo as inspiration for the paint colors, I used washes, rubs, and straight color to give it texture. 
All of my hard work and determination paid off in the end, because it was chosen as one of the 12 finalist pieces!
I didn't end up winning of course, because there were so many incredible artists who also took part in the contest. It was an honor to make it into the top 12 though, and a really great experience overall.


I managed to nab a mint-in-bag Zagoran on the Japanese geekery site Mandarake for an incredible price. Being the mature adult I am, I played around with it the moment I received it in the mail, taking ridiculous photos. 


On the 15th I saw Demetri Martin live. My mom bought me two tickets for my birthday, so naturally I took Jon with me. Demetri was hilarious, and yes, his nose really is that big.


The end of my Medical Terminology class also brought some pibble time with BBR's amazing adopt-a-bulls. Demo was my personal favorite, he was so affectionate and goofy.

The end of May didn't go so well. I had some awful allergies and PMS from hell. I know that sounds a bit pathetic, but it was really bad. I was snappy, irritable, and temperamental, and basically did absolutely nothing but played League of Legends and sleep.

Sooo, that's about it!
I'll post what I've been up to so far this month later today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment